Chinese Herbal Medicine
Enjoy customized herbal remedies specific to your needs.
What is Chinese Herbal Medicine?
Chinese Herbal Medicine is a vital component of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and has been used for thousands of years to promote health and treat various health conditions. Based on the principles of TCM, Chinese Herbal Medicine involves the use of natural substances, including plant roots, leaves, flowers, minerals, and animal products, to create unique herbal formulas tailored to an individual’s specific health needs.
The foundation of Chinese Herbal Medicine lies in the concept of Qi (vital energy) and the balance of Yin and Yang forces within the body. Practitioners of Chinese Herbal Medicine carefully assess a patient’s overall health and identify patterns of disharmony in the body’s Qi. By addressing these imbalances with the appropriate combination of herbs, Chinese Herbal Medicine aims to restore harmony, enhance organ function, and support the body’s innate ability to heal.
Herbal remedies can be prescribed as dried herbs, powders, pills, capsules, or even herbal teas. The selection and combination of herbs are based on their specific properties, tastes, and therapeutic effects. Chinese Herbal Medicine is known for its individualized approach, where each patient’s unique constitution and condition are taken into account to create personalized treatment plans.
Sasha May is an experienced Certified Chinese Herbalist with a proven record of prescribing treatment plans that deliver life-changing results.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, acupuncture and herbs pair exceptionally well together. Herbalists work from a Traditional Chinese Medicine text called Materia Medica that lists thousands of plant and other extracts. We may prescribe a traditional formula or create a custom-compounded formula for you.
Whatever the form, Impact Healing uses only the highest-quality products. Sasha does not use formulas made in Mainland China as she has quality concerns. All herbs are sourced from the United States, Taiwan or Japan and purchased through Lhasa OMS, a United States based supply company with strict quality control.
Benefits of Chinese Herbal Medicine
Chinese Herbal Medicine is often used to address a wide range of health issues, including chronic conditions, digestive disorders, respiratory problems, hormonal imbalances, and more. It offers a wide range of well-known benefits, drawing from centuries of traditional wisdom and modern research. Some of the most well-known advantages include:
- Holistic Approach: Chinese Herbal Medicine takes a holistic approach to health, addressing the root cause of health imbalances rather than just treating symptoms. It aims to restore harmony and balance within the body, promoting overall well-being.
- Natural and Low Risk: Chinese Herbal Medicine primarily uses natural substances, such as plants and minerals, reducing the risk of adverse side effects commonly associated with synthetic drugs. When prescribed and used correctly by a trained practitioner, it is considered safe for most people.
- Preventive Health: Chinese Herbal Medicine is not only used for treating illnesses but also for preventive care. It can help strengthen the body’s immune system, improve resilience, and maintain health and vitality.
- Minimal Side Effects: When prescribed correctly, Chinese Herbal Medicine is associated with minimal side effects, making it suitable for individuals who may be sensitive to pharmaceutical medications.
- Complementary Therapy: It can be used as a complementary therapy alongside other treatments, including acupuncture and conventional medicine. Integrating Chinese Herbal Medicine with other approaches may enhance the overall effectiveness of the treatment plan.
Frequently asked questions
Here are some of the most common questions we hear when it comes to Chinese Herbal Medicine treatments:
When prescribed and used correctly by a trained and licensed practitioner, Chinese Herbal Medicine is generally considered safe. However, it’s essential to disclose any pre-existing health conditions, medications, or allergies to ensure the selection of appropriate herbs and dosages. Herbal formulas are tailored to individual needs, reducing the risk of adverse reactions. As with any form of healthcare, it’s crucial to consult a qualified practitioner to ensure safe and effective treatment.
Chinese Herbal Medicine treatments are prescribed based on an individualized assessment of a patient’s overall health, medical history, and specific condition. Practitioners identify patterns of disharmony in the body’s Qi and tailor herbal formulas accordingly. Chinese herbs often take the form of easy-to-digest capsules. But herbal therapy may also involve teas, liquid extracts, granules or powders, and the dosages are carefully adjusted to suit the patient’s needs.
Chinese Herbal Medicine can address a wide range of health conditions, including but not limited to digestive disorders, respiratory issues, hormonal imbalances, pain management, skin conditions, and emotional well-being. It can be used as a complementary therapy alongside other treatments and is often chosen for its holistic approach to health.
The timeline for results varies depending on the individual’s health condition, the severity of the problem, and their response to treatment. Some individuals may experience improvement in symptoms relatively quickly, while others may need to continue treatment for a more extended period. It’s essential to follow the prescribed treatment plan consistently and communicate regularly with your practitioner to monitor progress and make any necessary adjustments.